Monday, March 15, 2010

Where do I begin?

It is difficult to know where to start...I think the adoption seed was planted in me over ten years ago. We suffered a miscarriage with our first pregnancy, and they found that I had fibroid tumors. This is usually not a huge deal, but I was young and naive, and wondered if I would ever be able to carry a pregnancy to term. We attended an informational adoption meeting at our local library. The seed was planted. Soon after this, I was pregnant with Mallory. Three years later, I was pregnant with Collin. Our lives were full and busy, and our adoption questions ended as quickly as they had begun; however, my eyes were opened to a need. My heart and emotions were stirred.

Fast forward a few years. Our lives intersect with the lives of several families who are adopting. We become close friends with these families, sharing life with them through church, small groups, and Bible study. My heart stirs again... I begin to talk these things over with God. I receive no direct answers. There is no writing in the sky. The stirring increases in me... I keep praying and even begin pushing the subject a little with John. Finally, I decide that I will know it is God's will if He places the same desire in each of our hearts. I stop pushing the subject with John. I assume I have my answer.

A little more fast forwarding...I am on the computer one night, and I receive an instant message from my friend. "Do you want to go to Ethiopia with me to pick up the girls?" My answer, "Sure." Then, "Are you serious? How long would we be gone?" I ask John what he thinks. He immediately and unselfishly says, "Sure." One short instant messaging session and God moves in His mysterious way, in His perfect time. I felt I had received a sweet gift from God. I felt this was His way of letting me experience adoption.

Fast forward a few months...I am standing in a transition house in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, staring at a beautiful, chubby faced little girl with the darkest skin I have ever seen. I was compelled to touch her, to hold her, to elicit a smile from her somber face. These were my only thoughts. After all, we were at a transition house, where children are waiting for their adoptive parents. After all, God had provided my answer by allowing me to travel with my friend.

Upon my return,I shared everything with my husband about the beauty of Ethiopia, the poverty of the city, and the sweetness of the children. I tried to adequately capture all that I had seen and experienced. Then the unthinkable took place, my dear sweet magnificent husband said that we could begin looking into adoption!!!!!

Another instant message from my dear friend, "Guess who was just put on the waiting list?" The beautiful, chubby faced, somber little one that I had been so attracted to was indeed on the waiting list. I contacted the adoption agency and spoke with the director. Understandably, we were told that they needed a paper ready family. We began the application process, gathering documents, filling out forms, and getting references.

A few weeks and many forms later, she was put on hold for us!!! There is no person who could orchestrate such a huge thing and get all the details right...ONLY GOD could put together this masterpiece!!!

And so, this is where we are...we can't wait to see how it all unfolds!

6 comments:

  1. Tara,

    You've written this so beautifully. It's really very moving. Your faith in God (and in John) is wonderful. I'll be following your advanture.

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! God is so amazing and good. I love your story. I have you and your phone number on my "to do" list this week, but as you can imagine, it is a wild one!! We leave for ET on Thursday!! So exciting, only 5 more days until we hold our Evan! Let's get in touch though even if it is after our trip!
    Cristie
    www.contagiouscristie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- you could be a writer! Thanks for sharing your story and I can't wait to read more about Kami!! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara, what a beautiful and amazing story! Looking forward to more entries to see what wonderful things God will do next in this journey for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw Rebecca Maas' post and I too got to meet Kamise. She stole my heart too. I am so happy to know she has a family! I will be watching for the story of your journey. God is so awesome!

    We have been home for 3 weeks now with our 11 year old, Tamirat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just read the entire story-I've read bits and pieces, but this is such a beautiful picture of your faith journey and how God is working through all of it.
    Kami is ABSOLUTELY precious!!!!
    We are so very happy for you all, and we can't wait to meet her.
    Love from the Beaver family

    ReplyDelete